<preprocess include=FILE name="H:\LUDWIG\cdschoud\uk\include\inc001.txt"> Ann Vasc Surg 2001 Jan;15(1):32-6

Long-term follow-up and patient satisfaction after surgery for thoracic outlet syndrome.

Sharp WJ, Nowak LR, Zamani T, Kresowik TF, Hoballah JJ, Ballinger BA, Corson JD.

Department of Surgery, Section of Vascular Surgery, The University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City 52242, USA.

The purpose of this study was to review the long-term outcomes, particularly patient satisfaction, of patients surgically treated for thoracic outlet syndrome (TOS). All patients who had undergone surgery for TOS at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics between 1988 and 1999 were reviewed. A retrospective chart review of 29 patients (36 operations) was performed. In addition, 20 (69%) of the patients were able to be contacted for a phone survey. There was no operative mortality. Specific neurologic complications occurred in 4/36 operations (11%) including one brachial plexus traction palsy, two phrenic nerve palsies, and one long thoracic nerve palsy. All nerve palsies were either mild or temporary. Mean follow-up was 4 years. On phone survey, 80% of the patients were actively employed. Twenty-seven percent reported that they had an excellent result, 58% reported they had a good result, 8% reported that they had a fair result, and 8% had a poor result. If they had it to do over again, 85% of the patients would have the same surgery again for relief of TOS.

PMID: 11221941 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]